May 31 Tribute for Jim Gray

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Subject: May 31 Tribute for Jim Gray
Date: 2007-10-10 23:10:06
Lists: sfpug

If you are a fan of Jim Gray, you may want to
come and pay respects.

--elein

-------------------
Dear Friends of Jim:

Jim Gray's wife, Donna Carnes, has decided to have a
public-invited Tribute to Jim Gray on May 31, 2008. I
am helping her organize it.

This is the only large public-invited Tribute for Jim; it
will be on the UC Berkeley campus and will have two parts: the large event,
the Tribute, will be about 90 minutes in length and will be in Zellerbach
Hall, which seats 2000 people; following that, a smaller event (for which
people will need to register) in Wheeler Hall, seating 700 people. We are
planning for the smaller event to be an invited set of lectures on
Jim's technical contributions and the continuing work based on those
contributions. We will be requiring registration for the Technical Sessions
so we know if we need to stay in the 2000-seat auditorium, rather than moving
to more intimate space. So please put May 31 on your calendar for the Jim Gray
Tribute;
when we have details on how to register for the Technical Sessions, we will
send them along.

This is not a memorial, because Jim is still listed as missing, and will be
so listed until about Jan 28, 2011. It is important that it is not referred
to as a memorial, because it can't be a memorial until then. We believe
that it is good to go ahead and recognize Jim's contributions, to honor him
in a Tribute, before such a long time has passed.

10/8 Draft Agenda (all confirmed, exact titles of talks still not decided)

Agenda, Jim Gray Tribute May 31, 2008

Tribute to Jim Gray (9AM - 10:30) Zellerbach Hall, UCB
Joe Hellerstein: Welcome, intro
Pauline Boss: Why this is Not a Memorial: Understanding Ambiguous Loss
Mike Harrison: Jim's impact on UCB
Pat Helland: Jim as a mentor for colleagues
Ed Lazowska: Jim as a mentor for faculty, students
Mike Stonebraker: Why Jim got the Turing Award
David Vaskevitch and Rick Rashid: Jim's contributions to industry
Mike Olson: Presentation on the search effort

Technical Sessions: 11:00 - 12:30; 1:30 - 3:00; 3:30 - 5:30 in Wheeler Hall,
UCB

A series of longer talks that discuss in detail what contributions Jim made,
and, also, importantly, what is happening now to build on that work.

11- 11:30 Bruce Lindsay IBM/Transaction Processing
11:30 - 12:30 Wendy Bartlett, Joel Bartlett and Richard Carr: Tandem/Fault
tolerance
1:30 - 2 David DeWitt: Development & Effect of TPC/A benchmark
2:00 - 2:30 Gordon Bell: DEC, Architecture, Memex and more
2:30 - 3:00 Andreas Reuter: Writing the Transaction Processing book: "Is
there Life After Transaction Processing?"
3:30 - 4:00 Tom Barclay: the adventure in Russia and the Terra Server.
4:00 - 4:30 Alex Szalay: the Sloane Sky Survey
4:30 - 5:00 Curtis Wong : World Wide Telescope Project
5:00 - 5:30 Jim Bellingham: Undersea data collection & sharing

----- End forwarded message -----