[ameli@cs.berkeley.edu: DB Seminar: Friday 10/12, 1-2:30pm, 606 Soda Hall]

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Subject: [ameli@cs.berkeley.edu: DB Seminar: Friday 10/12, 1-2:30pm, 606 Soda Hall]
Date: 2007-10-09 21:27:18
Lists: sfpug
The graduate DB lunch time seminars are starting up again.
Anyone is welcome.

--elein

----- Forwarded message from Alexandra Meliou <ameli(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu> -----

From: Alexandra Meliou <ameli(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: dblunch(at)triplerock(dot)CS(dot)Berkeley(dot)EDU
Subject: DB Seminar: Friday 10/12, 1-2:30pm, 606 Soda Hall

Friday, October 12th, 2007
606 Soda Hall
1-2:30pm

Speaker:
Martin Theobald

Title: Trio: A System for Data, Uncertainty, and Lineage

Abstract
---------
Trio is a new kind of database system that supports DBMS-style data
management, uncertainty, and lineage in a fully integrated manner. The
talk presents the ULDB (for Uncertainty-Lineage-Databases) data model,
an extension of relational databases with simple yet expressive
constructs for representing and manipulating both lineage and
uncertainty. Uncertain data and data lineage are two important areas of
data management that have been considered extensively in isolation,
however many applications require the features in tandem. Fundamentally,
lineage enables simple and consistent representation of uncertain data,
it correlates uncertainty in query results with uncertainty in the input
data, and query processing with lineage and uncertainty together
presents computational benefits over treating them separately. We show
that the ULDB representation is complete, and that it permits
straightforward implementation of many relational operations. We also
show how ULDBs enable a new approach to query processing in
probabilistic databases.

Finally, we?ll have a look at the current state of our first Trio
prototype system, dubbed Trio-One, currently being developed at
Stanford. Trio-One, our implementation of ULDBs, is built on top of a
conventional DBMS using data and query translation techniques together
with a small number of stored procedures.