Re: default_text_search_config

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: default_text_search_config
Date: 2007-10-05 03:54:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> >> Well, that documentation is correct as far as it goes; what it doesn't
> >> say is that initdb's mapping table explicitly maps C/POSIX locales to
> >> english.  It seems like a reasonable default on this side of the water,
> >> but maybe I'm being too North-American-centric.
>
> > Ok. Are you going to to add "initdb's mapping table explicitly maps
> > C/POSIX locales to english" to the doc? If no, I can do that part.
>
> Before we worry about documenting the behavior, are you happy
> about it?  What could be done differently?  I'm wondering if it makes
> any sense to consider the specified database encoding while making
> the text-search decision ...

For me the idea that a text-search configuration maps to a
locale/language seems to be totally wrong. IMO an encoding/charset
could include several languages and a text-search configuration should
be mapped to an encoding/charset, rather than a language.  Apparently
this would not happen in the near future however.

Good thing is, text-search english configuration can handle multibyte
characters. So I can live with current text-search implementation.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan