type money causes unrestorable dump

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: type money causes unrestorable dump
Date: 2007-10-04 19:15:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I noticed that if you create a dump on a database containing a money
column and a certain locale, this dump is not restorable on a database
with a different locale.

Most notably, I tried dumping the regression database (which is created
with --locale=C), and then importing it into a database of my own
creation, which uses --locale=fr_CA.UTF-8.

Due to the thousands separator being different, the regression database
is not restorable on the french database.

The regression test uses for input the unadorned form:

insert into rtest_emp values ('wiech', '5000.00');

But on output, pg_dump uses the localized form:

COPY money (a) FROM stdin;
$7 000,00
\.

Surely pg_dump should be using the unadorned form as well?

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"No hay ausente sin culpa ni presente sin disculpa" (Prov. francés)