Re: Using Postgres as an alias

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, derek(dot)rodner(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date: 2007-09-28 12:09:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > Pavel Stehule wrote:
> >> FAQ isn't strict technical documentation, and there aliases arn't too
> >> bad. Why do you thing so word Postgres needs any promoting?
> >
> > Isn't it obvious from the number of people calling it Postgre that an
> > acceptable short form should be promoted?
>
> What people? The three or four that I run into once a month? So what...
>

> > Earlier in this round of discussion it seemed that most people didn't
> > like seeing postgre, but we were split on an official name change to
> > Postgres. Doesn't it therefore make sense to leave the official name,
> > and just promote the acceptable short name?
>
> IMO, no. It makes sense to leave the official name and accept the short
> name.

This entire thread reminds me of the concerns I had about advocacy list
focus a few months ago.

I think I will just ignore most posts and return in a few weeks to get a
poll on adding alias usage to the documentation, get a majority (or not),
and move on.

While making the alias additions is a good use of my time, arguing with
some people is not a good use of my time.  I will just take their
negative votes along with the positive votes and move on.