Re: Change request ...

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Anoo Sivadasan Pillai <aspillai(at)in(dot)rm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Change request ...
Date: 2007-09-27 09:44:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 02:48:52PM +0530, Anoo Sivadasan Pillai wrote:
> Description :   I have two tables with the same data , While I issue an
> update command to increment the value of a unique field by 1, the
> statement fails in one table and will succeed in the other table.
> Following is the script to reproduce the behaviour.

Correct. Unique constraints are not deferrable. I'm sure there are
people who would like it fixed, but there is currently not even a
proposal on how to do it. It's a hard problem, for which there are
well-known work-arounds. In practice this problem don't come up too
often.

It's been on the TODO list for at least 5 years...

Have a nice day,