Re: Using Postgres as an alias

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Derek Rodner" <derek(dot)rodner(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date: 2007-09-26 22:34:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I think you missed the point of promoting the preferred short name entirely - it doesn't require changing of any packages at all.

Think of it like an acronym in a paper. You spell it out the first time you use it, then use the short form thereafter. Similarly we can use the full name in packages, titles, introductions etc. and the short form in body text where it improves flow when reading.

Regards, Dave