Re: Using Postgres as an alias

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Derek Rodner <derek(dot)rodner(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date: 2007-09-26 20:26:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Derek Rodner wrote:
> > In presentations, articles, blogs, etc. Any publicly visible spot.
>
> This is assuming the name of the project has changed. It hasn't. The
> name of this project is PostgreSQL.

But without such changes the alias is only in the FAQ and will not be
widely used.

> This whole thread stinks of... I couldn't get my way and change the name
> outright so instead I will subvert my will through alternative means...

Well, actually, I see it the opposite where you brow-beat folks until
you think they will quit. (I am not a quitter, which I think you know.)
And I certainly do think the name change will finally be made, so I
don't feel like I have to subvert anything.

I thought it would not be a controversial change because I already
stated I wanted to make the alias more visible and no one objected. Now
I have a few objections and a lot of people who think it is a good idea.

Frankly, if the alias takes hold we might not need to make the full name
change -- supressing this idea now might actually hasten the name
change.

> Bruce, with respect. Let's start with one thing at a time. We have
> changed the FAQ.

I see no reason we can't move forward with more. I certainly have the
minimal time it would take to make simplistic changes:

grep -A5 PostgreSQL *.sgml

shows me pretty much the places that need updating --- about 15 minutes.

> The community "just" accepted the FAQ change, and now you want to start
> this?
>
> Let it lay.

Again, why shut down the discussion?