Re: Help tuning a large table off disk and into RAM

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: "James Williams" <james(dot)wlms(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help tuning a large table off disk and into RAM
Date: 2007-09-26 15:24:29
Lists: pgsql-general

> I'm stuck trying to tune a big-ish postgres db and wondering if anyone
> has any pointers.
>
> I cannot get Postgres to make good use of plenty of available RAM and
> stop thrashing the disks.
>
> One main table. ~30 million rows, 20 columns all integer, smallint or
> char(2). Most have an index. It's a table for holding webserver
> logs. The main table is all foreign key ids. Row size is ~100bytes.
>
> The typical query is an aggregate over a large number of rows (~25% say).
>
> SELECT COUNT(*), COUNT(DISTINCT user_id)
> FROM table
> WHERE epoch > ...
> AND epoch < ...
> AND country = ...
>
> The box has 4 x Opterons, 4Gb RAM & five 15k rpm disks, RAID 5. We
> wanted fast query/lookup. We know we can get fast disk IO.
>
> Running a typical query like above seems to:
>
> * hardly tax a single CPU
> * plenty of RAM free
> * disks thrash about
>
> The last is based mostly on the observation that another tiddly
> unrelated mysql db which normally runs fast, grinds to a halt when
> we're querying the postgres db (and cpu, memory appear to have spare
> capacity).
>
> We've currently got these settings, and have tried doubling/halving
> them, restarted and benchmarked a test query. They don't appear to
> materially alter our query time.
>
> shared_buffers = 128MB

shared_buffers = 1.5GB

Unless you've got a lot of stuff other than PostgreSQL on this machine.

> temp_buffers = 160MB
> work_mem = 200MB
> max_stack_depth = 7MB

These look reasonable, although I can't be sure without more details.

> We're less concerned about insert speed. Typically 1 or 2 users, but
> want fast queries.
>
> Perhaps a little extreme, but I'm trying to find a way to express this
> in a way that Postgres understands:
>
> * Load this table, and one or two indexes (epoch, user_id) into RAM.

Give it enough shared_buffers and it will do that. You're estimating
the size of your table @ 3G (try a pg_relation_size() on it to get an
actual size) If you really want to get _all_ of it in all the time,
you're probably going to need to add RAM to the machine. With 8G, you
could allocate about 3G to shared_buffers, but that would be ignoring
the size of indexes.

However, I think you'll be surprised how much performance improves
with 1.5G of shared_buffers. You may not need any more. 128M is
really forcing PG to work within limited space.

> * All of the table, all of those indexes.
> * Keep them there, but keep a disk based backup for integrity.
> * Run all selects against the in RAM copy. Always.

This is what PG does if you allocate enough shared_buffers.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com