BUG #3635: libpg.dll localization change

From: "libpg(dot)dll problem while changing from version 8(dot)2(dot)4 no-installer to 8(dot)2(dot)5 no-installer" <Pawo509(at)poczta(dot)onet(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #3635: libpg.dll localization change
Date: 2007-09-26 10:01:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 3635
Logged by: libpg.dll problem while changing from version 8.2.4
no-installer to 8.2.5 no-installer
Email address: Pawo509(at)poczta(dot)onet(dot)pl
PostgreSQL version: 8.2.5
Operating system: Intel Pentium D 2,6 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP Prof,
Service Pack 2,
Details:

I was using PostgreSQL in version
postgresql-8.2.4-1-binaries-no-installer.zip under Windows. I did the
following:
1. I unzipped PostgreSQL into D:\PostgreSQL and created directory named
"database" inside.
2. I exceuted (on non-administrator account "postgres"): initdb -D
"D:\PostgreSQL\database" -U root --encoding=UTF8 --no-locale
3. I executed (as an administrator): pg_ctl -D "D:\PostgreSQL\database"
register -N myPostgreSQLService
Everything worked ok.
I changed version to postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.zip, and tried
to repeat procedure above."initdb" failed because libpq.dll was not found. I
discovered that localization of this library changed from /bin to /lib
directory. When I added this /lib to PATH everything worked OK.
Does anyone know what is the reason of that change? According to version
numbering of PostgreSQL, changing minor version number (here: 4->5) means
small bug fixing and no enhancements. Changing library localization is
rather not a bug fix, and in my opinion there should be a comment about that
in release notes if someone wants to use no-installer version.