Re: BUG #3614: pg_config returns incorrect information for includedir-server

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Akinde <michael(dot)akinde(at)met(dot)no>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3614: pg_config returns incorrect information for includedir-server
Date: 2007-09-20 23:53:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Michael Akinde" <michael(dot)akinde(at)met(dot)no> writes:
> > This issue seems to be general to many of the paths returned - pg_config
> > inserts /postgresql/ - while the actual installation directory does not
> > include this path.
>
> Hmm ... works fine for me in both 8.2.5 and HEAD, which means either
> we fixed it since 8.2.4 (but I see nothing relevant in the CVS logs),
> or there's something relevant you didn't mention.
>
> One thing to be aware of is that pg_config's path output is not just
> hardwired strings; the paths are computed relative to the location of
> the pg_config executable. So if you'd moved the executable from where
> it was supposed to be installed, possibly that would explain it.
>
> If that's not it, could we see the complete output of pg_config,
> especially the full list of configure options? I'm also wondering if
> you tried a VPATH build; if so, what were the full paths of the source
> and build directories? (That one's just grasping at a straw; I don't
> *think* VPATH should have anything to do with this...)

There is a trick in the Makefile somewhere for appending a "postgresql"
when the path does not contain "postgres" or "pgsql". Maybe pg_config
is neglecting to add that?

Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe the problem is a mixture of the
Makefile doing that and pg_config not doing it (or the other way
around), by means of having moved the installation elsewhere (say if it
was --prefix=/usr/pgsql and then moved into /usr, or vice versa).

--
Alvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"Changing the world ... one keyboard at a time!"