Postgresql Server is not starting during it's installation

From: <ankur(at)adm(dot)iitkgp(dot)ernet(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql Server is not starting during it's installation
Date: 2007-09-18 14:11:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Sir,
During the installation of "Postgresql Database Server" when I am tring execute the command "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data" it shows an error message:
LOG: could not translate host name "localhost", service "5432" to address: Name or service not known
WARNING: could not create listen socket for "localhost"
FATAL: could not create any TCP/IP sockets
Now I am in a great trouble. You please send me the necessary steps to rectify that problem. I am waiting for your reply.

With regards,
Ankur Sahu,
Software Engineer.

IIT Kharagpur, http://www.iitkgp.ac.in