BUG #3606: Query Plan Failure or Index Corruption?

From: "David Tulloss" <dtulloss(at)computersoftwareinc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #3606: Query Plan Failure or Index Corruption?
Date: 2007-09-07 19:34:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      3606
Logged by:          David Tulloss
Email address:      dtulloss(at)computersoftwareinc(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.2
Operating system:   Windows
Details:

I have a very complex view that is starting to fail due to out of memory
error. When I run explain on the select that fails, the extimated cost is in
the TRILLIONS. When I dump and restore the db, it is back to normal
(estiamted cost in the thousands), but within a few hours of normal use (db
has been running for months) these queries begin to fail and the cost is
back up in the stratosphere.

I am operating under the assumption that we have an index corruption because
things work upon restore and then degrade under usage.

Vacuum Analyze instantly blows up the query planning on a newly restored
db.

This database is frequently written and read from all the time.

I've adjusted various environmental variables such as random_page_cost, etc.
But have only seen minor improvements (est. costs in the BILLIONS vs.
TRILLIONS).

HELP?!!?

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Cade CairnsDate: 2007-09-07 19:42:46