Re: Code examples

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Code examples
Date: 2007-09-04 00:29:28
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Decibel! wrote:
> Couldn't we come up with some method of specifying code examples in
> the docs and then having the doc build process actually run those
> examples and put that into the doc build?

While that seems very tempting, I think you need manual review to check
whether the examples make didactic sense. For example, I seem to
recall that we had to change some examples about how operator
precendence or type casting gives unexpected results several times over
the years because the unexpected results had turned into expected
results in response to new features. If you'd just produce the
documentation examples automatically, you'd be left with quite
embarrassing nonsense in there.

--
Peter Eisentraut