Re: [HACKERS] broken doc

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, bruce(at)momjian(dot)us, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] broken doc
Date: 2007-08-31 09:16:40
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Am Freitag, 31. August 2007 06:06 schrieb Tom Lane:
> I'm no expert in this, but looking at the complained-of bookindex.sgml
> entries makes me think that those index entries have a semantic conflict
> with these entries over in indices.sgml:
>
> <indexterm>
> <primary>GiST</primary>
> <see>index</see>
> </indexterm>

Yeah, apparently it is not supported to have a single term being a "see
$elsewhere" and a direct link. The semantics of that are debatable anyway.
The index building tool just creates garbage in that case.

> Perhaps we need to have a meeting of the minds on who gets to define the
> primary index entries about GiST and GIN?

I'd say that the text search section shouldn't be the primary source on GiST
and GIN, just like the section on arithmetic operators isn't the primary
source on B-tree. That might require moving some text around, though.

--
Peter Eisentraut