Re: How to monitor resources on Linux.

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to monitor resources on Linux.
Date: 2007-08-28 20:28:54
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 04:14:09PM -0400, John R Allgood wrote:
> We were running vacuum and vacuum full daily without the vaccum analyze
> on weekends. After about 2 weeks the master database would slow down.

That doesn't surprise me. If you have enough writes, the regular
vacuum isn't running often enough.  The goal is to vacuum "just
enough".  The vacuum delay stuff in more recent releases is valuable
here.

> How often do you run VACUUM or are you using the autovacumm daemon.

We have a complicated set of scripts that vacuum some tables very
often, some other tables less often, yet other tables rarely, and
some tables only once a week.  Autovacuum is currently in final
testing, though, I believe (though it's not my department any more,
so liberal salting of my words is needed).

--
Andrew Sullivan  | ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca
Everything that happens in the world happens at some place.