Re: how is pitr replay interruption time determined?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how is pitr replay interruption time determined?
Date: 2007-08-28 21:39:33
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Monday 27 August 2007 19:17, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> > LOG:  database system was interrupted while in recovery at log time
> > 2007-07-30 19:17:37 EDT
> >
> > I am curious how this date is determined by postgres/pitr?
>
> It's the update timestamp in pg_control, which in essence is going to be
> the completion time of the last checkpoint.  If the crash was during WAL
> recovery, as it seems to be, it'd be the time the last "restart"
> checkpoint was made.

Is there some way to force checkpoints on a db doing wal replay?

Also, I would think at a minimum that the last "restart" checkpoint would be
akin to when the db was last started, but looking at my replay instance I
see:

pg_control last modified:             Mon Aug 27 12:12:55 2007
Time of latest checkpoint:            Mon Jul 30 19:17:37 2007

The first date is around the time I restarted the instance, the second is
still a mystery to me. Perhaps I am misinterpreting your respone?

--
Robert Treat