Re: schema design question

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: mark overmeer <markovermeer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: schema design question
Date: 2007-08-19 20:23:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 10:13:08PM +0200, mark overmeer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2007/8/19, Steinar H. Gunderson <sgunderson(at)bigfoot(dot)com>:
> >
> > As a general database design paradigm, though, I fully agree with
> > you. Databases are databases, not glorified OO data stores or
> > hash tables.
>
> I don't want to use it as an OO data store, I use the filesystem for
> that. The intended use is to search for the right object. Since it
> has separate data structures for searching (indexes) I guess that is
> one of its functions.
>
> However, it still doesn't answer my question about the EV model
> (where each attribute is given its own table).

The answer to EAV modeling, is, "DON'T!"

Cheers,
David (who, if he were greedy, would be encouraging EAV modeling
because it would cause guaranteed large consulting income later)
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate