Re: pg_dump/pg_dumpall

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump/pg_dumpall
Date: 2007-08-10 19:20:05
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Friday 10 August 2007 11:49, "Andrew C. Uselton" <acuselton(at)lbl(dot)gov>
> uselton]# pg_dumpall   > /tmp/osp5_pgsql.dump
> Password:
> pg_dumpall: could not connect to database "template1": FATAL:
> Password authentication failed for user "root"
> If it really is asking for the 'root' password I am certainly giving
> it correctly.  I am root as I issue the command as well.  I've tried
> a few other guesses at what it might _really_ be wanting (including
> using an explicit '-h host -p port'), but with no better luck.  Any
> hints would be most appreciated. Cheers,

It is trying to connect as root, because you're logged in to your OS as
root, but there probably isn't a root user in the database.

You need to connect as a database superuser to do a backup. The normal
default superuser is "postgres".  Where it gets its password from or
even if it requires one depends on your configuration.

"Democracies survive only until the voters discover that they can vote
themselves largesse from the public treasury ..." -- Alexander Tyler