Performance on writable views

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, postgresql performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Performance on writable views
Date: 2007-08-08 12:40:54
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-sql

Hi folks,

I'm often using writable views as interfaces to clients, so
they only see "virtual" objects and never have to cope with
the actual storage, ie. to give some client an totally
denormalized view of certain things, containing only those
information required for certain kind of operations.

This method is nice for creating easy and robust client
interfaces - internal schema changes are not visible to
the client. In situations when many, many clients - often
coded/maintained by different people - have to access an
database which is still under development (typical for
many inhouse applications), it helps to circument interface
instabilities.

Now I've got the strange feeling that this makes updates
slow, since it always has to run the whole view query to
fetch an record to be updated (ie. to get OLD.*).

Could anyone with some deep insight please give me some
details about that issue ?

cu
http://patches.metux.de/