Re: Strange ODBC behavior.

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Strange ODBC behavior.
Date: 2007-08-05 23:41:18
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On Sunday 05 August 2007 3:26 pm, Paul Lambert wrote:
> Andrei Kovalevski wrote:
> >> Any thoughts on this or is it more of an access issue?
> >
> > 1) Could you post here CREATE script for one of the tables with problem
> > you descrived?  #delete message appears when something happens to the
> > primary keys.
> > 2) What is the version of your MS Access? PostgreSQL? Unicode or ANSI
> > driver version?
> > 3) Please, have a look on the linked table structure as it's recognised
> > by MS Access. And post it here.
> >

> > Andrei.
> I believe I have found the problem.
> The primary key fields are defined in PG as type text, but MS access is
> bringing them across as type "memo" - whatever that is.
> It seems to be bringing most text type fields across like this.
> I changed them to varchar on one of the tables I'm having a problem
> with, relinked and they are coming across with a type of text on the
> fields now and I can see the data without issue.
> Strange... has anyone see that before?
Actually this has been noted before. Search Google or psql-odbc archives for
references. There are some changes you can make to the ODBC settings to help.
Unfortunately, I cannot remember them off the top of my head. I only bring
this up because I saw your post on the general list about changing the type
of 600  text columns. You might find it easier to change the behavior of the
ODBC driver.
Adrian Klaver