Re: stats_block_level

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: stats_block_level
Date: 2007-07-31 18:09:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Simon Riggs wrote:
> >> Methinks it should be: stats_<something>, so that people find it in the
> >> same place as stats_query_string, which is still there.
>
> > Hum, but the order in postgresql.conf is arbitrary, right?
>
> I concur with Simon that it should have some relationship to
> stats_query_string.  However, stats_collection doesn't appeal to me
> because that sounds like it would subsume stats_query_string (it seems
> like a master control toggle, as stats_start_collector used to be).
> Maybe something like stats_count_events?
>
> Or we could get radical and rename both of them...

Well, it is a bit misleading to have the query_string stuff be named
"stats" when it's not actually collected by pgstats at all.  Maybe
rename it to "collect_query_string".  With the other name being
"collect_stats", they would show up together in SHOW ALL.

I am not sure about using plural/singular though: why isn't it
"stats_query_strings" instead?  (We do have "log_connections" etc).

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Porque francamente, si para saber manejarse a uno mismo hubiera que