Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Bob Zurek" <bob(dot)zurek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"
Date: 2007-07-31 17:06:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
All,

I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own Journal vs.
having regular articles in other people's publications.  I don't think that
we have so many writers in the community that doing a PostgreSQL journal
wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of
content.

If we think we have untapped writers, I'd rather push them to contribute to
these publications, which will reach people who aren't PG users or have even
heard of PG rather than the faithful.  This would be especially the case with
and online-only Journal, which nobody would stumble across on the newsstand
by accident.

I'd also be nervous about doing anything with SYS-CON Media given their rather
tainted reputation in the OSS community.

The only way this makes sense is if it would attract many new people to
writing and publishing about PostgreSQL who otherwise wouldn't do it.  If
nothing else, I don't believe that our existing active writers are sufficient
for a Journal.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun