Re: Question about fixes and updates

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Srinivas Kotapally <ksrinivas(at)coriendo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about fixes and updates
Date: 2007-07-31 02:27:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 06:20:14AM -0400, Srinivas Kotapally wrote:
> I just wanted to know if the patches that are applied to Postgres are back
> ported to earlier versions? For example, I run the last stable release in
> version 8.1... 8.1.9? Do I need to upgrade to 8.2.x to benefit from the
> patches? Or is there a latest 8.1.9 binary that I can download and refresh my
> installation? Please advise.

Bug fixes are typically backpatched to earlier releases if the fix
isn't too invasive. However, to get those fixes you'll need to
build from the latest CVS source or wait until the next minor
release. I don't know if anybody builds "8.1.9 + latest patches"
packages.

If you're curious about a particular fix then see the Release Notes
for the latest release in the branch you're running (e.g., 8.1.9
for the 8.1 branch) or search the pgsql-committers archives:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/

Commits to back branches will show a tag like REL8_1_STABLE.

--
Michael Fuhr