Re: European mailing list

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2007-07-30 14:47:05
Lists: pgeu-general

On Monday 30 July 2007 Jean-Christophe Arnu's cat, walking on the keyboard,
wrote:
> For those who had not the
> chance to be there, can you point some URL or mail/text resource that
> may summarizing all discussed points during the Patro meeting (if
> existing) ? If not, does someone can make it on the mailing list?
> (that would be nice to you !) :)

Hi everybody,
I was there that evening and I can provide some information about, even if
it's harder to remember due to the beer(s).....I'm not able to do a complete
report, and I hope that someone with the detailed schedule can do it.
The main discussion was of course about an entity that can aggregate and
promote PostgreSQL user groups, and here comes first troubles. In fact one
way to make the PUG to survive is to get funds, and the way an organization
can be non-profit and can get funds (donations) depends on country-based
laws. The EU association should then be subject to the laws of the country
where its main site is? I'm not an expert about this and I don't know what
the answer could be. The point here was to understand if a single european
entity could suffice also for countries where there is not a national pug or
not, and what does it mean for each of the above make a pug (from a law point
of view). In my opinion this should be a point to discuss here on this
mailing list, also to create country pug more homogeneous; this would easy to
aggregate them into an european entity.

There was an interesting proposal by Oleg: organization can get funds from
certifications and courses. The problem in my opinion is that we must provide
a program that is the same for all countries and, most important, appropriate
teachers for each country. Unluckily the Oleg proposal did not get a lot of
success, in my opinion.

In my opinion a first step, besides the creation of local pugs (that depends
on the capacity and will of each country) is the test of an european network
related to postgresql, that can help us understanding if we can coordinate
each other and which results we can get. Also a good way to do this could be
the exploitation of universities, promoting research about postgresql within
them. This could help also the main project too. This is just a quick
thought!

Luca