SSPI vs MingW

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SSPI vs MingW
Date: 2007-07-23 09:09:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I just came across yet another place where MingW isn't compatible with the
windows api. Specifically, their libsecur32.a file lacks at least one
function that is needed to implement SSPI authentication. The way I can see
it, there are three ways to solve it:

1) Simply state that SSPI authentication in the backend cannot be built
with mingw, and require msvc build for it (the msvc api follows the windows
api, which is hardly surprising). We could add an autoconf test for it
that'd pick up an updated libsecur32.a file if/when mingw release an
update.

2) Ship our own secur32.def file, and automatically build an import library
for it that we can link against. Because the function is present in the DLL
file, this works fine.

3) Dynamically load the function at runtime, thus completely ignoring the
need for an import library for it.

What do people feel about these options? I'm annoyed enough with mingw
right now (after having tracked this stupid thing down) that I'm probably
not thinking clearly enough to say something myself :) Oh, and feel free to
tell me which option(s) I missed completely..

//Magnus