Re: Can we change the website for OSCON + PDXPGDAY?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Can we change the website for OSCON + PDXPGDAY?
Date: 2007-07-21 16:31:32
Lists: pgsql-www

On Saturday 21 July 2007 06:03, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >>
> >> I assume you mean more than just a listing under events?
> >>
> >> We don't normally do that for "generic conferences with pg tracks" -
> >> we've only done it for the PostgreSQL dedicated ones so far (2xcanada +
> >> 1xitaly), unless I'm mistaken. I'm not sure we want to go there - there
> >> are lots of such conferences, and that's really what the events listing
> >> is for. Conferences held by pg people and dedicated to pg is a different
> >> thing, imo.
> >
> > Well we have a dedicated PGDay which is why I asked. It is Sunday and it
> > is *only* Pg.
>
> Ah, wasn't aware of that. Having a writeup on that part I'm certainly
> not against, but the point below still holds.
>
> >> Having said that, I'm definitely not against having the website
> >> frontpage change more often, as it makes the site seem more alive :-)
> >>
> >> But to sum things up, nothing is likely to happen unless someone makes a
> >> more complete proposal for what :P It'll be a lot easier to convince
> >> people then...
>
> Then in your other mail,
>
> > I would also note that this is not a "generic conference" it is pretty
> > much one of the two biggest conferences in the US for PostgreSQL.
>
> So, maybe I used the wrong word - I'll blame it on English not being my
> native language :-) It's a "generic conference" from the perspective
> that it's not a dedicated PostgreSQL event (like pgcon or pgday). I'm
> unsure exactly how much of oscon is actually about PostgreSQL, but I'd
> be greatly surprised (in a positive way!) if it was more than say 10% or
> so.

This is true for the conference itself, but with tutorials, talks, and bofs
ranging from 50-100 people in attendence, it rivals attendence figures of
both pgday and pgcon on number of pg minded attendee's, and AFAIK, it is the
largest technical conference for postgresql users in the US.

> Actually, I'd be *very* happy if it was as much as 10%, which is
> very far from dedicated. But the fact remains that the top name of their
> speaker list is the CEO of mysql :-P

Actually the top name on thier speaker list is Kristen Accardi, a kernel
developer from Intel. A late addition, it did use to be Mr. Aker... perhaps
you'd be willing to change your name to Aagander for next year, then we would
be the top :-P

> So, that's what I meant with generic. There may be a better word for it...
>
> But again, I'm absolutely not against someone writing something up about
> the dedicated PostgreSQL day.

ok, i'll try and get to it later on, short of joshua sending some verbiage
before that (which he hopefully will)

--
Robert Treat