as a translator I find quite uncomfortable some part of the pgadmin3 release process. I would like to discuss if others share these problems, and eventually fix them.
The first problem is related to the stringmerge utility. Every time source code is updated, with changes in strings, a manual invocation of stringmerge is required. It happens that people forget it, so I have to use stringmerge every time I need to update my translation.
I think that merging strings could be done automatically via Makefile, at build time.
Updating all translations on SVN, as the current stringmerge does, is useless since it just add a lot of SVN changes and commit for files that still have to be translated.
Another problem with the build process is that when I change my pgadmin3.po, it is not automatically compiled to .mo. This is another step that could be done automatically in i18n/Makefile.
I also feel a need for a string freeze period before any release. I am used to update my translations on other projects while developers do not change strings. Without a string freeze is very difficult to keep translations update and in sync.
Last problem. The po file includes all strings alphabetically sorted. I find very handy to have these strings not sorted; what I would need is it to keep closer strings that are next in the source code. The reason is that very often strings are related the same subject and should be translated using the same words.
pgadmin-hackers by date
|Next:||From: Guillaume Lelarge||Date: 2007-07-19 06:56:39|
|Subject: Re: How to easy the translation process|
|Previous:||From: svn||Date: 2007-07-18 12:13:46|
|Subject: SVN Commit by dpage: r6456 - trunk/pgadmin3/pgadmin/db|