Re: Implicit autocommit?

From: Jan de Visser <jdevisser(at)digitalfairway(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, ecf(at)goldencode(dot)com
Cc: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Implicit autocommit?
Date: 2007-07-15 20:14:35
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sunday 15 July 2007 13:34:30 Eric Faulhaber wrote:
> Unless I misunderstand your answer, this suggests that vacuum cannot be
> run via JDBC, since it cannot be run within a transaction block.

Methinks you did misunderstand Oliver; if you use setAutoCommit(true) there
will be no transaction block at all (the name is a bit confusing: autocommit
true means there are effectively no commit statements send. At least by the
pgsql driver). Don't know what that means for your temptables though; if they
are transaction scoped you're probably SOL, but from your example it seems
you're using session scoped temp tables, so that should work.

> It is
> my understanding that autovacuum skips temp tables:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-06/msg01645.php
>
> This is consistent with my experience.  So, how can I vacuum a
> long-lived temp table created with a JDBC connection?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric Faulhaber

jan

Jan de Visser                     jdevisser(at)digitalfairway(dot)com

                Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!