Re: Regarding Distributed Database features

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Chidambaram Janamaddi <mail(dot)chidambaram(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Regarding Distributed Database features
Date: 2007-07-13 16:39:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Friday 13 July 2007 11:16, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Chidambaram Janamaddi wrote:
> > Hello!
> > Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has
> > Distributed Database supporting features?
>
> No.

While the question is far too vague to be given a solid answer, I think you're
being dismissive of question. PostgreSQL works fine as a piece of a
distributed database solution, though it generally requires some glue code to
make it all work, but that's generally true of most databasee.

> > Which of the Distributed database functionalities are totally or
> > partially supported among the following ......................
> >
> > * Local autonomy
> > * No reliance on a central site
> > * Continuous operation
> > * Location independence
> > * Fragmentation independence
> > * Replication independence
> > * Distributed query independence
> > * Distributed transaction processing
> > * Hardware independence
> > * Operating system independence
> > * Network independence
> > * Database independence

Again, the above checkbox items are too vauge to give you a real answer.
PostgreSQL is not designed as a distributed database, but it can be a piece
of a distributed database system if your trying to put one together, but
you'd need to speak more specifically of implementation details and provide
much more context to have a meaningful conversation about it.

--
Robert Treat