Re: dump restore help

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dump restore help
Date: 2007-07-12 19:56:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thursday 12 July 2007 12:48, "Brian P Ford Sr" <fordbp(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I am in the computer forensic business and need to restore a dump file
> and stand up the data base. I've never worked nor seen PostgreSQL before.
> Will the restored database need a user name and password also? Thanks

If the dump is from pg_dumpall it will include global information such as
users and passwords.

If it's a single DB dump you will need to create the users and database
first manually before restoring. The dump should just be a text file, you
can look at the beginning of it to see if it's creating databases and users
and such.

--
We're Microsoft. Everything else is just patent infringement.