Re: Release timing

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release timing
Date: 2007-06-29 14:57:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:03:13AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> A though struck me this morning that there really isn't any huge reason
> why we can't release prior to PostgreSQL 8.3 now that the default
> documentation is external to pgAdmin. The only caveat would be that we
> would have to be able to produce a point release to handle any last
> minute behavioural/catalog changes in 8.3, though looking at the
> outstanding patches for PostgreSQL 8.3 I don't think we'll need to
> change much.
>
> Thoughts?

I think it sounds great. First of all, I'd like to throw the new version
off to a couple of guys that run 8.2 and could really use it *today*.
Second, that will free up more resources (mainly you) for actual 8.3 beta
review once that happens (hey, one less step to deal with wrt installer!)

I think the main arguments against it would be if there is code in there
now for features in 8.3 that end up getting yanked from 8.3 completely. But
AFAIK there are no such things that are likely to happen.

So again it's a "go for it" from me.

//Magnus