Re: AutoVacuum Behaviour Question

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Bruce McAlister <bruce(dot)mcalister(at)blueface(dot)ie>
Cc: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AutoVacuum Behaviour Question
Date: 2007-06-28 10:41:02
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 11:12:19AM +0100, Bruce McAlister wrote:
> I just want to verify that I understand you correctly here, do you mean
> that the temporary table is created by specific sql, for example, create
> temp table, then perform some actions on that temp table, then, either
> you remove the temp table, or, if you close the session/connection the
> postmaster will clean up the temp table? What happens if you're using
> connection pools, i mean are those sessions deemed "closed" after the
> queries complete, when the pool connections are persistent.

Yes, the temp table is private to the session and will be removed once
the session closes, if not sooner. As for connection pools, IIRC there
is a RESET SESSION command which should also get rid of the temporary
tables.

That's what's wierd about your case, I can beleive that autovacuum
ignores temporary tables. And somehow you've got a temporary table
that's been alive for hundreds of millions of transactions...

Have a nice day,