Execution variability

From: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Execution variability
Date: 2007-06-27 21:46:25
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi all.
I understand this can be a ridiculous question for most you.

The very same query on the very same db shows very variable timings.
I'm the only one client on an unpupolated server so I'd expect a
rather constant timing.

INstead for a while the query become very slooow and the CPU reached
60 to 70% and the time needed is about 1.5 minutes0.
Again with just me on it.
Normally the same query rises the usage to a mere 5% to 7% with timing
with the tenth of a second.

I have disable both the autovacuum and the "stats_start_collector" in
attempt to disable possibe reasons for slow down. No luck in this.

Do you have any hint?

Vincenzo Romano
Maybe Computer will never become as intelligent as Humans.
For sure they won't ever become so stupid. [VR-1988]

pgsql-general by date