Re: timestamp wiht time zone

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Jasbinder Singh Bali <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timestamp wiht time zone
Date: 2007-06-27 19:25:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Jasbinder Singh Bali escribió:
> Hi,
> i have a column in my table defined like this:
>
> time_stamp timestamp DEFAULT ('now'::text)::timestamp with time zone

Note that the column is of type timestamp, which _doesn't_ have a time
zone. You probably want

time_stamp timestamp with time zone DEFAULT ('now'::text)::timestamp with time zone

> 1. What is the value after the dot (period) at the end. Like 760133 and
> 90582

milliseconds

> 2. How does it talk about the time zone.

It doesn't because the time zone information is not being stored due to
the datatype issue I mentioned above.

Note: the time zone is not actually stored. What actually happens is
that the value is "rotated" to GMT and stored as a GMT value, and then
when you extract it from the database it is "rotated" to the current
TimeZone for display. If you need to store what time zone a value "is
in" you need to store that information in a separate column.