Re: Can I backup/restore a database in a sql script?

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I backup/restore a database in a sql script?
Date: 2007-06-22 08:13:09
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Στις Παρασκευή 22 Ιούνιος 2007 10:59, ο/η Joost Kraaijeveld έγραψε:
> Hi,
>
> I want to write a sql script in which I backup a database and restore a new
> (altered) version of that database. Is that possible? If so , can anyone
> give me an example of how to do that?
>
> I can run it from any command prompt (psql -U postgres template1 <
> my_db.backup) but I would like it to run from psql (which should give me
> 1 script for all platforms I must do this: Windows, FreeBSD and Debian)

With "\!" you can execute shell commands.
So you could probably
\c template1
\! pg_dump your_db > your_db.sql
\! some_processing your_db.sql > your_db_altered.sql
DROP DATABSE your_db
CREATE DATABSE your_db
\i your_db_altered.sql

I dont know if the \! escape works for windows, and in any case pg_dump,
some_processing programs must be in the PATH for Unix/Windows

Debian/FreeBSD behaviour is exactly the same, it is on windows that you should
try to make it work.

--
Achilleas Mantzios