Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Karl Wright <kwright(at)metacarta(dot)com>
Cc: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access
Date: 2007-06-20 17:53:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
Karl Wright wrote:

> (b) the performance of individual queries had already degraded
> significantly in the same manner as what I'd seen before.

You didn't answer whether you had smaller, more frequently updated
tables that need more vacuuming.  This comment makes me think you do.  I
think what you should be looking at is whether you can forget vacuuming
the whole database in one go, and make it more granular.

--
Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
"Having your biases confirmed independently is how scientific progress is