Re: BUG #3394: Partial search not working

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Murali Doss <Murali(dot)Doss(at)mphasis(dot)com>
Cc: Douglas Toltzman <doug(at)oakstreetsoftware(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3394: Partial search not working
Date: 2007-06-19 13:59:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Murali Doss wrote:
> I have created new database with encoding as sql_ascii and reloaded the
> data but still its returning 0 rows in Linux.
>
> SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE colname BETWEEN 'B' AND 'B~';

You probably didn't set the appropriate collation, which is the thing
that affects this type of query. Beware that collation and encoding are
closely related so it still won't work if you choose mismatching
settings. You probably want C locale as well as SQL_ASCII encoding.

The query is probably poorly thought out though. Why are you not using
WHERE colname LIKE 'B%'? How do you know what does your collation
consider as being between B and B~? Remember, text values are not
necessarily compared using byte comparison. The C locale uses byte
comparison but I think it's the only one that does so.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Saca el libro que tu religión considere como el indicado para encontrar la