Re: Converting a DB from SQL_ASCII to UTF-8

From: Ivo Rossacher <rossacher(at)bluewin(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting a DB from SQL_ASCII to UTF-8
Date: 2007-06-18 17:47:29
Lists: pgsql-admin
There is no general answer to the question. It highly depends on how the data
was entered.
SQL_ASCII is not an encoding but more the absence of any encoding. So whatever
the client sends will be put into the database. So if you entered data with
different encodings from the client side (typically different clients on
different operating systems). What to do with the data depends highly on the
used encodings of the clients. If you are very lucky and all entries were
based on the same encoding you might run iconv or recode on the dump and
reload the corrected dump. Otherwise you will have to manually, with the help
of recode or iconv, adjust the dump.
If your server is once on UTF-8 the server will convert from and to the
encoding of your client for you. SQL_ASCII asks the server not to convert
anything.

Best regards
Ivo