Re: The Business Case for PostgreSQL

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The Business Case for PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-06-18 12:07:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Sunday 17 June 2007 23:10, Chris Browne wrote:
> One bit that I think I vigorously disagree with:
> "In the same way, adding features you want, whether ordinary ones like
> replication or exotic ones such as complex statistics, is easy."
> As a mathematician (couple of Math degrees in my past ;-); I'll put
> this hat on for a moment...), who works on replication, I think this
> is totally backwards.
> Implementing complex statistical functions tends to be, behind the
> scenes, a pretty Simple Matter Of Programming.  The formulae may look
> nasty, but the computations are usually not all that bad, once
> understood.
> In contrast, I have to call replication a "pretty exotic" feature.
> And I don't think implementing replication is particularly easy,
> either.  The challenges with multimaster are legion...

replication is ordinary in the sense that every database system has, and many
people roll your own.  And I'll note rolling your own in postgresql is quite
a bit easier than rolling your own in say, sql server (We've done both at
OmniTI).  My engineering hat tells me that the statement should be tempered
with a "relativly easy" maybe... or replace easy with "PostgreSQL does a good
job staying out of your way"... but otherwise I don't it is that far off the

> "From the outset, PostgreSQL was constructed to meet the goals of
> active businesses which could rely on it as a core element of their
> mission-critical IT infrastructure."
> Nope.  At the outset, it was constructed as a research project.  When
> it became an OSS project, I'm not sure those were yet the goals.

Yeah, this one is probably more problematic.  Could it be argued that, having
created one system and seeing how it fared commercially, that Stonebreaker &
Co. did have in mind the idea of POSTGRES becoming a basis for a commercial
system as well?  Maybe someone from the "Old School" can comment?

Robert Treat