Re: [HACKERS] Avoiding legal email signatures

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Avoiding legal email signatures
Date: 2007-06-13 18:31:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 01:04:13PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> This is a good idea anyway. We should have a list usage policy,
> and we should link to if from the subscribe confirmation and from
> the web subscription page. In addition to letting people know that
> e-mail confidentiality footers will be ignored, we can tell them
> how the lists are moderated, how to unsubscribe (can't have this in
> enough places), not to use HTML mail, etc.
>
> So, who wants to write it?

If there are no other volunteers (I may have overlooked them), I'm
willing to. I'm all for a note in the subscription &c. that says we
don't approve of, and will not be bound by, these footers. I just
don't think we should ignore the poor sods on whom these things have
been inflicted.

> The only additional idea I have is that we ought to simply strip
> away any e-mail footer over 4 lines from the archives. Not only
> would this purge the confidentiality footers, it would save us some
> space in general.

I will support this as soon as you can guarantee that the program to
do this cannot, in any possible world, ever have any bugs ;-)

Everything that happens in the world happens at some place.
--Jane Jacobs