execute immediate

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: execute immediate
Date: 2007-06-13 12:52:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
According to the standard EXEC SQL EXECUTE IMMEDIATE dynamically
prepares and executes a statement. ECPG used to just simulate this by
simply executing the statement. But before rewriting this I wonder if it
makes any sense at all. Where's the advantage of preparing a statement,
then executing it and then of course deallocating it again over a simple
execution?

The EXEC SQL EXECUTE IMMEDIATE clause is needed to be able to
dynamically compute the statement to be executed, but do we really need
to prepare it?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes(at)jabber(dot)org

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: René GrünDate: 2007-06-15 13:38:03