execute immediate

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: execute immediate
Date: 2007-06-13 12:52:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
According to the standard EXEC SQL EXECUTE IMMEDIATE dynamically
prepares and executes a statement. ECPG used to just simulate this by
simply executing the statement. But before rewriting this I wonder if it
makes any sense at all. Where's the advantage of preparing a statement,
then executing it and then of course deallocating it again over a simple

The EXEC SQL EXECUTE IMMEDIATE clause is needed to be able to
dynamically compute the statement to be executed, but do we really need
to prepare it?

Michael Meskes
ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes(at)jabber(dot)org

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: René GrünDate: 2007-06-15 13:38:03