Re: [HACKERS] Avoiding legal email signatures

From: Jeff MacDonald <jam(at)zoidtechnologies(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Avoiding legal email signatures
Date: 2007-06-13 14:28:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 4:04 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
[...snipped...]
> This is a good idea anyway. We should have a list usage policy, and we
> should link to if from the subscribe confirmation and from the web
> subscription page. In addition to letting people know that e-mail
> confidentiality footers will be ignored, we can tell them how the lists are
> moderated, how to unsubscribe (can't have this in enough places), not to
> use HTML mail, etc.

ok.. of course as an "experienced user" I agree that HTML on the mailing list
postings should be banned. kmail has a setting for this, but I doubt that the
common Windows Email Client does. my suggestion is to link to reasons *why*
HTML in email is bad (and no, "because spam is sent using html" is not a good
enough reason:)), and perhaps a link to a document that talks about how to
turn it off with yahoo, gmail, OE, etc would help. actually.. is HTML in
email all that bad if there is a reasonable text/plain version attached?
granted it chews bandwidth and storage space in the archives.. so.. hmm. :)

regards,
--
Jeff MacDonald,
Zoid Technologies <http://zoidtechnologies.com/>