Re: VACUUM vs auto-vacuum daemon

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: "Sabin Coanda" <sabin(dot)coanda(at)deuromedia(dot)ro>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VACUUM vs auto-vacuum daemon
Date: 2007-06-12 16:25:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Hi there,
>
> Using explicitly VACUUM command give me the opportunity to fine tune my
> VACUUM scheduling parameters, after I analyze the log generated by VACUUM
> VERBOSE.
>
> On the other hand I'd like to use the auto-vacuum mechanism because of its
> facilities. Unfortunately, after I made some initial estimations for
> autovacuum_naptime, and I set the specific data into pg_autovacuum table, I
> have not a feedback from the auto-vacuum mechanism to check that it works
> well or not.  It would be nice to have some kind of log similar with the one
> generated by VACUUM VERBOSE. Is the auto-vacuum mechanism able to provide
> such a useful log ?

Ditto what Alvaro said.

However, you can get some measure of tracking my running VACUUM VERBOSE
on a regular basis to see how well autovacuum is keeping up.  There's
no problem with running manual vacuum and autovacuum together, and you'll
be able to gather _some_ information about how well autovacuum is
keeping up.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.