Re: VERY slow queries at random

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gunther Mayer <gunther(dot)mayer(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VERY slow queries at random
Date: 2007-06-07 15:58:12
Lists: pgsql-performance
Gunther Mayer wrote:

> On another note, autovacuum couldn't cause such issues, could it? I do
> have autovacuum enabled (autovacuum=on as well as
> stats_start_collector=on, stats_block_level = on and stats_row_level =
> on), is there any possibility that autovacuum is not as resource
> friendly as advertised?

Hmm.  I am not sure where did you read that but I don't think it has
ever been stated that autovacuum is resource friendly in the default
configuration (I, for one, have never tried, intended or wanted to state
that).  I suggest tuning the autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay parameters if
you want it to interfere less with your regular operation.