Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts
Date: 2007-06-05 16:19:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
> >>Is this a TODO?
> >
> >I don't think so; there is no demand from anybody but Zdenek to remove
> >those programs.  Has it ever even come up before?

Personally I found really strange to have "createuser" and "createdb"
shipped by Postgres when I started using it.  I just didn't complain.

> "pg_ctl -D <path> init" instead of initdb command?

Seems a reasonable thing to do too.  Harder to type for developers, but
how much of a problem this is for real users?  And developers can script
the thing anyway so I don't think this is a real problem.

One idea is to move the offending binaries into libexec, and have pg_ctl
or other helpers (pg_cmd) call them; and where compatibility with the
old versions is requested, create symlinks in bindir.