Autovacuum launcher doesn't notice death of postmaster immediately

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Autovacuum launcher doesn't notice death of postmaster immediately
Date: 2007-06-02 20:19:15
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
I notice that in 8.3, when I kill the postmaster process with SIGKILL or
SIGSEGV, the child processes writer and stats collector go away
immediately, but the autovacuum launcher hangs around for up to a
minute.  (I suppose this has to do with the periodic wakeups?).  When
you try to restart the postmaster before that it fails with a complaint
that someone is still attached to the shared memory segment.

These are obviously not normal modes of operation, but I fear that this
could cause some problems with people's control scripts of the
sort, "it crashed, let's try to restart it".

--
Peter Eisentraut

Next:From: Neil ConwayDate: 2007-06-02 20:59:38
Next:From: Neil ConwayDate: 2007-06-02 20:59:38
Subject: Re: Seq scans status update