Re: One last Slony question (was Re: Slightly OT.)

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: One last Slony question (was Re: Slightly OT.)
Date: 2007-06-02 18:35:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 06:15:40PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Since DDL is infrequent, is that bottleneck an acceptable trade-off?

I don't know. We'd have to do the analysis. But it could be a
problem. Look at it this way: if you have a replica that is, for
isntance, _always_ 30 minutes behind, as a sort of poor-person's
fast-recovery PITR, then you lose that functionality if you have to
perform DDL on the replica at the same time as on the origin, because
you have to catch up first.

"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
--H.W. Fowler