Command tags in create/drop scripts

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Command tags in create/drop scripts
Date: 2007-05-31 12:56:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The messages output by the "scripts" always seemed unnecessary to me, e.g.,

$ createdb foo
CREATE DATABASE

A Unix program (hi Magnus) shouldn't need to say anything if the requested
action succeeded.

I believe the history of this output is actually that these scripts simply
used to call psql and no one really questioned why the output should be this
way. There are also some inconsistencies, e.g., createlang doesn't output
anything, and createuser outputs CREATE ROLE.

I would just remove all this, but I suppose this will be controversial?

--
Peter Eisentraut