Re: High Avaliable in the PostgreSQL.

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High Avaliable in the PostgreSQL.
Date: 2007-05-30 22:26:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 06:12:02PM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> Sure it can be done. Get two SANs that support replication, redundant
> high-speed WAN links, high end servers, large UPSs, and generators.

Most SANs that I've seen aren't in "geographically separate"
locations in the way most think of this. It's usually metronet --
it's not even a different city. That's a poor disaster prevention
strategy, although it might be worth it as step one. (If you can
take the latency, of course, you can make this go further, but true
both-coast solutions, for instance, will make the latency such that
users will certainly be able to see it.)

However important originality may be in some fields, restraint and
adherence to procedure emerge as the more significant virtues in a
great many others. --Alain de Botton